The Lost Acres Fire Department (LAFD) was incorporated in 1936 for the purpose of providing fire suppression services to the Town of Granby. The first station was on Lost Acres Road, hence the name of our department. Today, we continue to provide those services and a host of new ones, with a 100% volunteer staff of 44 men and women.
Anyone interested in joining the department can contact the Chief or any member for more information. All education and equipment is provided for by the LAFD and we meet regularly on Tuesday nights for training and equipment maintenance.
Our facilities include three stations;
- Center Station – located at 206 Salmon Brook Street. This station houses a 1000 gallon pumper with a 1000 gpm pump, a 3000 gallon tanker and our special operations truck.
- North Granby Station – located at 352 North Granby Road. This station holds a 1000 gallon pumper with a 1250 gpm pump and our heavy rescue truck.
- West Granby Station – located at 256 West Granby Road. This station houses a 1000 gallon pumper with a 1250 gpm pump and a 300 gallon brush truck with a 500 gpm pump and our forest fire equipment
We are dispatched by the Granby Department of Police Services, using this dispatch center to coordinate our response with the Granby Police and Granby Ambulance Association.
The LAFD is part of the Capital Region of Government Fire Chief’s Association and the Hartford County Fire Emergency Plan. Through these organizations we share resources with our surrounding towns in Connecticut and Massachusetts, calling their resources to help when Granby needs them, and providing our services if they have the need.