The Town of Granby was incorporated in 1786 from Simsbury and covers 40.7 square miles on Connecticut's north central border with Massachusetts. Primarily a rural residential community, Granby is home for many white collar and professional workers in Greater Hartford's financial and insurance corporate headquarters and industries. Located 13.6 miles north of Hartford, the town is bordered on the east by the towns of Suffield and East Granby, on the south by Simsbury and Canton, and to the west by the towns of Barkhamsted and Hartland. Granby's estimated population: 11,000.
The Town is served by State Routes 10, 20, 189, 202, and 219. Interstate 91 is a limited access six lane interstate highway 8.6 miles to the east which provides north-south commercial and passenger motor transportation. Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks is six miles to the east on Route 20. While primarily residential in character with over 3,800 dwelling units, Granby also has more than 100 commercial and industrial buildings and almost 500 acres zoned for commercial and industrial use.
Form of Government
Granby is governed by a Charter, last revised in November of 2012, and operates under a Selectmen/Manager form of government established in 1960. A five member Board of Selectmen serves as the Town's legislative body and an appointed Town Manager serves as the Town's Chief Executive. Selectmen are elected biennially for two year terms. An elected Board of Finance serves as the Town's budget authority. A part-time Treasurer, the Town Manager, and the Finance Officer oversee the Town's finances.