F. H. Cossitt Public Library Branch
The Cossitt Library was generously funded by a gift from Frederick H. Cossitt, which he left in his will to build a free public library, and by the spring of 1890 the Library was under construction. The Library, located at 388 North Granby Road in North Granby, opened its doors to the public in 1891 with a collection of 1,300 books, organized and managed by George Seymour Goddard, aged 24, and a graduate of Wesleyan University; Goddard later went on to become the third State Librarian for Connecticut at the turn of the century.
Today the Cossitt Library is part of the Granby Library System and is fully modernized with WiFi, an online catalog and a full children's department in the lower level. Yet Cossitt has maintained the grace and beauty of a gentler time, its cypress paneling and natural light conducive to relaxing with free coffee or tea, while the Children's Department is warm and inviting with an extensive collection and play areas. In 2013, the Town of Granby purchased the adjacent land, landscaped the property and erected a gazebo for town residents and library patrons to enjoy during the three seasons of the year.