Founded in 1869 by the alumni of the pre-existing Granby Literary Association, the Granby Library Association (GLA) was created as a public stock corporation and a new structure was built to house the subscription library. Three years later, use of the second floor hall was offered to The Congregational Society of Salmon Brook (the precursor of the South Congregational Church). With financial support from the family of Laura Dibble Bunce a new library was constructed in her honor in 1877. Following a fire in 1917 which destroyed the Library and Church, a new church, library, and community building were built.
In 1966, the Town mandated that one board should govern the library system in Granby resulting in the formation of the Granby Library Board. Later, in the early eighties, the GLA ceded control of the library to the Granby Library Board and sold its building to the Town of Granby. Only the control of the monies entrusted to it over the past 113 years was retained by the GLA.