Stormwater Management


The Town of Granby understands the importance of minimizing pollution generated from stormwater runoff.  From private and municipal maintained properties to town-maintained roadways and parks, stormwater needs to be properly controlled and directed to reduce the environmental impacts caused by pollutants present in stormwater runoff.

Information on this webpage provides an overview of town, state and federal requirements as they pertain to stormwater management.  Additionally, guidance is provided for ways that the public can assist in the reduction of stormwater pollution.

Stormwater Management Plan

The General Permit for the Discharge of Stormwater from Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4 General Permit) is the product of a mandate by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) as part of its Stormwater Phase II rules published in 1999.  This general permit requires qualifying municipalities to take steps to keep the stormwater entering its storm sewer systems clean before that stormwater enters water bodies. One important element of this permit is the requirement that towns prepare a Stormwater Management Plan that provides an action plan to evaluate and mitigate stormwater pollution in the municipalities MS4 network. 

As such, the Town of Granby has registered under the current MS4 General Permit and has prepared a Stormwater Management Plan.  The registration and plan cover the current MS4 General Permit period of July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2022.

The Stormwater Management Plan is available for public review at the Granby Town Hall (15 North Granby Road, Granby, CT 06035) and the Granby Department of Public Works Garage (52 North Granby Road, Granby, CT 06035).  An electronic copy of the Stormwater Management Plan is also available for review at this link Granby Stormwater Management Plan.

Stormwater Annual Reports

The MS4 General Permit requires the completion of an Annual Report to document stormwater management practices completed during each calendar year.  The most recent Annual Report is included here:

Draft 2019 MS4 Annual Report

Any questions or comments please call the Department of Public Works at 860-653-8960 or email [email protected]

2018 MS4 Annual Report

2017 Annual MS4 Report


Federal and State Policies

The following web links provide information pertaining to Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (CTDEEP) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) policies on stormwater management.

Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (IDDE) Program

Illicit discharges to the MS4 are prohibited.  To find out what constitutes as an illicit discharge please click HERE for some tips on what to look for.  In general, if it looks suspicious, report it.

To report a suspected or potential illicit discharge, please fill out the form provided in the link below and submit to the Town of Granby Department of Public Works.  Hard-copies of this form are available at the Department of Public Works.

Illicit Discharge Reporting Form

The IDDE Ordinance for the Town of Granby can be found here:

IDDE Ordinance 

Public Education

We ask that you, as a member of this community, take an active role in minimizing stormwater pollution.  The first step is to educate yourself on what stormwater pollution is, and where it comes from.  Please take a look at the information provided (fact sheets provided by Clean Waters, a collaboration of NEMO) in the links below to help us lessen our imprint on the environment.

For additional information on stormwater and ways to minimize stormwater pollution, please go to the NEMO Website