Energy Assistance

The focus of the Social Service Department is to coordinate existing federal, state, regional and local services, to increase community awareness of these services and to develop new programs to meet the needs of Granby residents. For more information about any of the following programs please call the office.

Fuel Assistance

Connecticut Energy Assistance Program --The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) benefits thousands of homeowners and renters throughout the state. Contact Granby Social Services to schedule an appointment 860-844-5350. This program runs from October to the middle of March. An appointment is necessary. The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program is designed to help offset the winter heating costs of Connecticut's lower income households, specifically those households whose incomes fall at or below 60 percent of the state median income.Winter heating assistance pays for a household’s primary heating source such as oil, natural gas, electricity, propane, kerosene, coal, wood and wood pellets on behalf of eligible households. The amount of heat assistance may not be sufficient to cover a household’s entire winter heating cost.The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program is administered by the Department of Social Services, and coordinated by regional Community Action Agencies, in cooperation with municipal and other non-profit human service agencies. 

Operation Fuel partners with local government and community-based organizations at more than 100 sites throughout Connecticut to ensure that families in need have access to year-round energy assistance. Operation Fuel provides a one-time grant of up to $500.00 to assist families with their energy bills. Operation Fuel is energy blind, meaning we assist with all energy types – oil, electric, natural gas, kerosene, wood, propane, pellets, and other energy sources.If your grant is being applied to an electric or gas utility bill, Operation Fuel’s grant may be used to prevent a shutoff or restore utility service. 

Granby Emergency Fuel Bank

The Granby Emergency Fuel Bank is funded solely by donations and gifts from the community. If you wish to donate, please make the check payable to the Town of Granby Local Assistance Fund with a notation that it is intended for the Fuel Bank. Please call the office for additional information and for eligibility screening.


Should you receive a shut-off notice--do not wait! Contact Granby Social Services immediately to discuss options such as Eversource's NewStart Program, Matching Payment. Operation Fuel’s grant may be used to prevent a shutoff or restore utility service.

Utility Winter Protection Program

Winter Protection is NOT automatic. Winter Protection means a household cannot be shut-off during that winter months, however, it does not mean that the household does not pay its bill. You MUST continue to pay your utility bill through the winter months.  To qualify, contact either Eversource or the Social Services Department and prove hardship in order to be put on the Winter Protection Program. The Winter Protection Program is in effect from November 1 through April 15. Please contact Eversource Energy (formerly known as CL&P) to make payment arrangements, if you have not been making monthly payments.

For all assistance, the State of Connecticut and/or agency require specific documents to complete an application.  Required documents that are not provided will delay the process. 

INCOME DOCUMENTATION     Proof of income for all household members (18+ years old).

  • Paycheck stubs (4 consecutive paystubs if paid week or 2 paystubs if paid bi-weekly). Paystubs must be the four weeks prior to your appointment. NEW! Paystubs are only accepted if they list your name and social security number.
  • If you are self-employed: A Self-Employment worksheet will need to be completed and notarized. See offce for a self-employment worksheet. Click to download a Self-Employment worksheet form
  • Social Security Award letter; SSI; NEW! (a statement from a bank showing direct deposit of Social Security income is NO LONGER acceptable).
  • Pension or annuity check stubs, or a letter from the payer on their letterhead
  • If you are unemployed: A print out of Unemployment Compensation Benefits from the Department of Labor or from the DOL website at:
  • If you are receiving Workman's Compensation or Disability Insurance: A statement showing benefits
  • If your household receives rental income from a tenant: Rent receipts from tenant OR copy of lease
  • If you receive V.A. Benefits: A copy of the Award Letter or statement from bank showing V.A. benefit received.
  • Dividend and interest statements for the most recently completed period.
  • If you receive money from Family and/or Friends: Must provide a statement from friends or relatives who are contributing to your household's support, signed by them.
  • If you receive Alimony or Child Support: Divorce decree or Family Relations Court letter or lawyer statement verifying the amount and frequency of alimony and/or child support. 
  • If someone in your household is disabled: Must provide medical certificate signed and stamped by a physician verifying the disability

VERIFICATION OF DISABILITY     If you or some members of your household have a disability that cannot be verified by sight, you must have a medical certificate signed and stamped by a physican verifying the disability. 

DOCUMENTATION OF RENT OR MORTGAGE:      You must bring in proof of what current rent or mortgage evidenced by your lease, a copy of a check OR a current rent receipt or current housing notification (Rent charges will be verified by landlord).

ASSET VERIFICATION      To verify your current account balance(s), you must provide statement(s) from every institution that you or any other adult household member(s) have an account with. (Liquid assets include savings and checking accounts, bonds, stocks/shares, Certificates of Deposit, or Individual Retirement Accounts if over 59 1/2 years old).

ENERGY BURDEN     Copy of your household's current electric bill.