Transfer Station Accepted Items

NO household trash of any kind or commercial refuse is accepted at the Transfer Station. The following items are accepted. A fee will be charged for those items marked with an asterisk (*). Permits are available as you arrive at the entrance gate. Proof of residency, such as a CT driver's license, is also required.

Auto Waste - Car batteries, waste oil and anti-freeze are accepted. Batteries and waste oil may also be brought to the Public Works Garage, 52 North Granby Road any weekday from 7:00am until 3:00pm.

Books - Hard covers, paperbacks, DVDs, CDs, records, and books on tape. Please, no encyclopedias or multiple textbooks.

Brush* - Must be clean, up to 6" round, cut to maximum length of 6 feet, butt ends facing same direction. Wood chips are available free to Granby Residents (call Public Works for availability (860) 653-8960).

Bulky Items* - Furniture, carpeting & other large household items, scrap wood.

Electronics - Computers & components, TVs, stereos, etc. See Electronics Accepted Items for a detailed list.

Leaves - For composting. Leaf compost is available free to Granby residents.

Mattresses - Mattresses and box springs.

Metal* - Ferrous metals (scrap metal, bicycles, lawn mowers, etc.) and metal goods (stoves, washers, dryers, etc.)

Paint - Accepted items are water based & oil paints, deck stains, shellacs, etc. Items must be in their original container and no rust. See PaintCare Program Accepted Items.

Propane Tanks* - Valves must be left on.

Refrigerant-Bearing Items* - Refrigerators, freezers, air-conditioners, dehumidifiers, etc.

Single Stream Recycling - See Single Stream Recycling Accepted Items.

Textiles - Clean used clothing, linens, shoes (tied together!), hand bags.

Special Situations

Bulky Waste - If you are unable to make arrangements to dispose of household bulky items, appliances, etc., you may schedule a curbside pick-up directly with Paine's Inc. (860-844-3000). A separate fee will be charged for this service.

Construction Debris - If you have large amounts of construction debris or materials from remodeling, you will need to contract with a private hauler. You may call Public Works for a list of contractors registered with the Town. Small amounts of construction materials may be brought to the Transfer Station if you obtain prior approval from the Department of Public Works.

Hazardous Materials - (Turpentine, household cleaners, chemicals, etc.) Must be disposed of at a special collection site. See "Household Hazardous Waste" on this website or call Public Works (860-653-8960) for details.

Christmas Trees - The Public Works Department provides curbside Christmas tree collection every week during the month of January (weather and conditions permitting).

Compost Bins - "Garden Gourmet" backyard compost bins are available for purchase at the Public Works facility for a subsidized price of $35. Stop by the office weekdays from 7:30am to 3:30pm or call for more information at (860) 653-8960.