The State of Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) Bureau of Natural Resources Wildlife Division is charged with the handling of situations/complaints involving wildlife or non-domestic animals. The DEEP Wildlife Division can be contacted at (860) 424-3333.
Sightings of bears should be reported directly to the DEEP at the above number. Such information facilitates the DEEP in tracking bears that might become a nuisance to local residents. Only situations in which the animal might place persons at imminent risk need be reported to the police department. The DEEP has provided information on the handling of bears near your home:
- DO make bird feeders and bird food inaccessible by discontinuing the feeding of birds from late March through November.
- DO clean and store grills away after use.
- DO eliminate food attractants by placing garbage cans inside a garage or shed. Add ammonia to trash to make it unpalatable.
- DON'T intentionally feed bears. Bears that become accustomed to finding food near your home may become "problem" bears.
- DON'T leave pet food outside overnight.
- DON'T add meat or sweets to a compost pile.
More black bear Information from DEEP
For additional wildlife information from the DEEP please click here to visit their website.