Using the Online Catalog
Search Granby's holdings first, then expand your search to the entire Consortium. If you need assistance, please call Granby Public Library at 860-844-5275 or Cossitt Library at 860-653-8958.
Log in to the Encore Online Catalog. Once you've logged in to your Encore account, you can:
- Update your personal information
- Pay fines using a major credit card (Encore is a secure environment)
- Keep a Reading History (staff can show you how to set it up!)
- Place Holds
- Create reading and watching lists
- Click on the cover of the item and find a summary and reviews
- Search Articles in addition to books, DVDs, and ebooks
- Find similar authors and titles
- Use the tabs to get recommended reading lists
Our online catalog has many features beyond basic searching. Below are some tips on how to use the catalog and how to find some of the features.
To search for an item, type your request into the Encore home page search screen. This function allows you to search for titles, authors, or any information you know about the desired item.
From here, Encore provides you with a general search for your desired item. Use filters on the left sidebar to narrow your search to receive more specific results.
Did You Mean?
When a search term is misspelled, Encore will make suggestions.
Clicking on an item in the search result brings you to the item's library record. Here, you can find holdings information, detail on the item, other popular items, and more.
This allows you to place holds on a library item.
- Search for the item in the Granby Catalog.
- Select the Request it button on desired item.
- Log into your account (see below) if you haven't already.
- Select the specific library item you'd like (if applicable).
- Select the pickup location/library.
- If you have a specific date you need the item by, check the Deadline box and enter the deadline date (note: if you do not receive a hold by this date, your request will be deleted). If you do not have a deadline, leave this box unchecked.
- Select Submit.
- Click on Login button at the top right of the search panel.
- Enter your Library Card Number and PIN and click on "Submit Query."
- You can now access your Account, where you can place holds, renew items, pay fines, track your checkout history, and create reading lists.
Materials may be renewed twice if there are no reserves on them. You may renew in person or through the Online Catalog with a library card:
- Log in to your account
- Select items to renew by clicking in checkboxes to the left of each title you want to renew
- Click on Renew Marked
- Click Yes on the next screen to complete renewal
- Note which items have been renewed
Once logged into your account, you can easily pay outstanding fines using a credit card. Simply click Fines/Fees on the left side of the screen. A Pay Online button generates in the middle of the screen. Clicking this will lead you to a simple, secure prompt to pay your fines.
Once logged in to your account, you can view your current holds and make any necessary updates. To change a pickup location for an item that is not already on its way, you can use the drop-down menu next to each title. To cancel a hold, check the box next to the title you no longer want and then click "Update List".
Once logged in to your account, you can Opt-IN to a feature that will track your reading history. This will keep a list of all items you check out from any library in our consortium from that moment forward. You will be able to view this list by going to Reading History on the left side of the screen. Note: Library staff will not have access to this list. You can export your list and/or Opt-Out at any time.
Encore allows patrons to create unique lists of library items. Items placed in your book cart can be moved to a list of your own creation, such as a "To Read" list. No need to clutter your hold list anymore. Create a list and request items as needed! You can also export book lists to share with others!
To create a list, you will use the feature “My Cart”.
From the home search screen, click the Advanced Search tab to create an initial search meeting specific requirements. Here, you can narrow your search by format, collection, location, language, year, etc.